The CriterionONE Online Writing Evaluation Service is a web-based self-led writing tool that helps students plan, write and revise their essays. It gives them immediate diagnostic feedback and more opportunities to practice writing at their own pace.
CriterionONE allows students to improve their writing skills while working independently with immediate, detailed feedback on grammar, spelling, mechanics, usage, and organization and development. Students get more writing practice without adding to instructor workload.Students can respond to prompts from the Criterion
® Topic Library, or submit any piece of writing into the Open-Ended assignments at various skill levels. Because it is offered online, students can access the CriterionONE service anywhere — from school, home or any place with an internet connection.
The CriterionONE service offers:
- Immediate, automated scoring and diagnostic review
- Five practice topics at each grade level (TOEFL Junior® level has two topics available)
- Five open-ended topics to submit any piece of writing
- A Custom Writer's Handbook (available for Elementary, Middle School, High School, College and English Language Learning levels, as well as in Spanish/English, Simplified Chinese/English, Japanese/English and Korean/English)
- Unlimited and convenient access — log in anytime, anywhere there is internet access
- Compatibility across multiple operating platforms, including iPad® tablets.
Students will have access to the system for 120 days. A new license can be purchased here at the end of 120 days to continue using the service.
Note: This version of the Criterion Service is available for individual purchase. If you are an Instructor or Administrator who would like to purchase the Criterion Service for your institution, please visit https://www.ets.org/criterion.